Audrey West was brought up in Walmer in the 1920’s and 30s. Here she recalls some of her earliest memories of Upper Walmer......
In December 2010 Jennifer Blake, who now lives in Wiltshire, kindly provided some additional details to Audrey's account and these have been included as notes in the text.
(Jennifer recalls: There was a cobblers, just before the almshouses, and further up (opposite the convent) was the sweet and magazine shop mentioned by Audrey.)
(Jennifer recalls: For many years it was a electrical shop run by the Joyces. Many was the time we trundled up to have our accumulator battery for the radio re-charged.)
(Jennifer adds: The convent was still open in the late 1950s and local children were allowed in to look at the beautiful needlework. Webmaster's note: There's more on the Convent ofthe Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary in an article on Upper Walmer's history, here.)
(Jennifer recalls: Mr Minter was also a builder and funeral director. The Chapel of Rest was in the dip between the Drum and the pathway which ran through from Drum Hill to Salisbury Road.)
(Jennifer adds: Demolition of the brewery was much later than that - probably late 1950/1960s. Webmaster's note: There's much more on the Thompson Brewery here.)
(Jennifer recalls: Local children used to be taken to see the lambs in Hawksdown - a great joy because they were in a meadow right beside the road, opposite the house of Mrs Peek (of Peek Freans biscuit fame).)